We’ve all been there, when your base just looks a little too ‘done’, a bit cakey or heavy – it’s not a good look. There’s always the temptation to reach for the bottle of Micellar Water and start again from scratch, but there isn’t always time for that. This is where that bottle of Mac Fix+ comes in handy.. it’s perfect for turning heavy skin into hydrated skin.
Also known as MAC Prep + Prime Fix+, it’s a refreshing water based mist packed with antioxidants; vitamins and minerals and infused with a blend of green tea, chamomile and cucumber. The two biggest misconceptions are that it’s ‘just water’ and that it’s a setting spray. Although the name is quite misleading, it doesn’t ‘fix’ or set your make-up, instead, its a great finishing spray.
“I like to think of MAC Fix+ as the most useful ‘useless product’ on the market”
It isn’t something you think you will need, but once you try it, you won’t regret it! There are so many ways to use it, so I thought I would share my top 10 you.
- Hydrate your face before applying makeup, this is particularly great for dry and dehydrated skin. This also creates a smooth surface that helps your base products glide on effortlessly while adding some moisture and antioxidants into the skin.
- Refresh your face throughout the day to add some hydration, especially as summer is (supposedly) on the way. The travel size bottle is perfect for hydrating your face on flights, I like to pop it in my bag and because there is no fragrance, it doesn’t annoy the other passengers which is always a bonus!
- My favourite use for it to use it as a finishing mist. It gets rid of any excess powder or cakiness on the skin, leaving a gorgeous dewy base with a subtle sheen.
- If you have a mascara or gel liner that is drying out, spray some Fix+ into it to thin it out. It works well with any creamy product; it makes application easier and helps the product glide on smoother. I wouldn’t recommend doing this for a long period of time with mascara though as mascara has a short shelf life, and should be changed every six months or so.
- Prime your lips with Fix+ before applying a matte or liquid lipstick. I don’t think it helps with longevity, however I have noticed lipsticks such as Ruby Woo, that normally drag on the lips glide on a lot more smoothly when primed with Fix+. I prefer this method to using lip balm as that can sometimes make the lipstick slide off or smear around the mouth.
- Mixed with a powder such as blush or eyeshadow, you can create a liquid eyeliner. I would advise doing this on a palette or on the back of your hand as oppose to inside the eyeshadow pan as that may damage the shadow.
- Spritz your brush with Fix+ before or after using powder products, particularly those with a poor colour payoff to intensify them. Used with metallic or duo chrome shades, this makes them even more vibrant, creating a bold pop of colour. I love using this with highlighters, recently I’ve been using the Kiko water eyeshadow in 208, it’s the perfect gold cheekbone highlight and Fix+ really intensifies it!
- Pigments and glitters last longer and have less fallout by spritzing Fix+ onto the brush before picking them up. This acts as a bonding agent, helping them to stick to the brush and then onto the skin. The best part is that there is minimal fallout with this technique!
- Spray onto a damp beauty blender to apply foundation or concealer. I should point out that I don’t soak my whole beauty blender or real techniques sponge with Fix+ as that would be really wasteful, not to mention expensive! I wet my sponge under the tap as normal, squeeze out any excess water and spritz some Fix+ to the side I will be using. This makes my foundation look dewy, helps it to blend better and leaves it looking ‘like skin’.
- Dilute foundation or concealer with a few sprays to make application easier. I do this on the back of my hand or on a palette and it helps to sheer out the product. If you have left any cream or liquid product such as contour or concealer to sit on the skin for too long that, it may have started to set become difficult to blend. I spray some Fix+ onto my face and this helps to bring it back to life and blend it out evenly creating a flawless finish.
So next time you look in the mirror and realise what you’ve done.. don’t wipe it all off, just reach for the Fix+!
Please note that my bottle is really old – it lasts forever, although I should probably get a new one! MAC have since changed the packaging and even bought out some limited edition scented ones that I am dying to try!
Have you tried Fix+? It really is one of my beauty staples, and I love experimenting with new uses for it. If you have any other ways of using it, then please leave me a comment down below.